"In human females, the nesting instinct often occurs around the fifth month of pregnancy, but can occur as late as the eighth, or not at all. It may be strongest just before the onset of labor. It is commonly characterized by a strong urge to clean and organize one's home and is one reason why couples who are expecting a baby often reorganize, arrange, and clean the house and surroundings."
Um, yeah, you could say this is what I've been up to lately.
It started with all of the wonderful gifts that we got from both showers. Trav put together the stroller, rocker, bouncer and swing within days. I felt like they had to go up ASAP. We decided to put the swing, bouncer, and rocker on the front porch and we can just pull them into the family room as we need them. Obviously, the stroller is going in the car with the car seat. But, for right now it is parked on the porch. Chuck loves to lay in the bottom basket for now!;)
Next up is the pack n' play. We really love it. It is super easy to set up and take down and I love the newborn changer and bassinet that sits above it. We decided to set it up in the family room. That way we have easy access to a place for the MULTIPLE daily changes and he can also nap in the bassinet....it also vibrates and plays music...it's pretty neat.
My FAVORITE thing is all of the STORAGE areas. It has a hanging rack on the side with a laundry bag attachment. I put all of the necessities on the side rack: waterproof changing pads, burp cloths, Vaseline, Desitin etc, and hung the laundry bag. Then I tried to figure out a good way to utilize the storage space underneath the changer/bassinet. I decided to use these black IKEA drawer organizers. Two are filled with diapers and wipes and the other two are full of clothing/swaddle blankets. I just took all of his newborn and 0-3 month sleepers out of the nursery and decided that they would be the most accessible here for the next few months. As for Chuck...we are TRYING to train him to stay away from it. But, we may have caught him napping in the bassinet one day!;)
Next up is his bassinet. Thanks to the teachers it was already fully assembled and ready to go!:) Our master bedroom is on the first floor and his nursery is upstairs. So, we are planning on having him sleep in his bassinet in our room for the first few months. I have to say that I LOVE this bassinet. I didn't realize it had so many cool features when I registered for it.
First of all, it has a remote...how cool is that? It vibrates on several different settings and even has movement that simulates the mother's womb. It plays different kinds of music and has mobile above it that MOVES....all controlled by the remote...now that's my kind of bassinet!:)
As for Chuck, he likes to sleep on the bottom storage shelves...melts my heart...
Next up is organizing the kitchen cabinets with bottles and such. We registered for this AVENT Infant Starter Set with Sterilizer. I was a little skeptical of the sterilizer, but honestly, I can't say enough good things about it.
First of all, it's pretty large. You can toss in all of the bottle pieces, pacifiers, nipples etc onto the top section. Then you add water to the bottom part. Snap the top and bottom together and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes. The steam sterilizes EVERYTHING!:) Then let it sit in the microwave for a minute, take it out, remove the top, and it turns into a drying rack! Once everything is dry, I rinsed out the sterilizer, dried it and have been storing it in a drawer. In two rounds (honestly, like 20 minutes from start to finish) Travis and I were able to sterilize all of our bottles, pacifiers, nipples etc.
For right now we are storing our bottles in a cabinet with my Enfamil/Similac formula stockpile...
I saved the best for last. My MOST FAVORITE thing....BABY CLOTHES!:) After spending a bazillion hours washing blankets, gowns, sleepers, onesies, undershirts, socks, and his ACTUAL hanging clothes I was able to start putting outfits together for him and organize his closet!
We installed this IKEA closet organizer a few months back. It has three large wire shelves on the left side of the closet, one shelf and two clothes rods in the middle and this big built-in drawer organizer on the right. This built-in is my favorite part. It's interchangeable and can hold giant wire baskets as well as plastic bins.
I decided to put his sleepers, gowns, onesies, undershirts, socks etc. by size in the wire baskets. Then I decided to use the plastic bins to store blankets, bedding, sheets, toys etc. Then I started putting outfits together for him, hanging them, and separating them by size. Styling Landon was by far my favorite "nesting" thing to do. It took me a few weeks because I get so wrapped up in how cute the clothes are, how cute he will be in them and then that trails off into excitement for him to get here, imagining what he will look like etc. and I'd lose my focus!:)
Only a few more things to share for FUN!:) Here is a sneak peek of a few his outfits that I "styled" for him to wear this Fall. *Almost* EVERYTHING is from Gap or Old Navy, the two cutest places I've found boy clothes!:)
I've also been looking for my favorite quote everywhere to hang in his room. I finally got sick of searching and just decided to make it myself. I found this wooden owl at Michael's, painted it, distressed it and stamped the quote on it:
Hopefully, we are prepared as we can be. I know that our world is about to be turned upside down. No sleep, no time for anything, stressed out, having everything be about Landon and not us. I can't wait...:)
And lastly, if you have survived this never ending nesting post, a few updated nursery pics!:)
No comments:
Post a Comment